Sunday, 6 April 2008

Computing Post

So we all know Physics is cool, and lots of nice photos demonstrating interesting phenomena always makes for good blog reading, but I thought I'd throw in my hand as a proponent of the interesting world of Computing with a link to this article from Neatorama, basically outlining some of the history of early computers, dating right back to about 33000BC!
So it may not be as pretty as a green sunset, but I still reckon it's pretty interesting.
Check out the link if you want to find out more.

Oh and just to keep it colourful, here's a photo of the Antikythera Mechanism. Made in around 100BC it is thought to be part of a system for calculating the motion of the sun and the moon.

1 comment:

DRS said...

When I first read about this, in Nature, there was much that was mind-blowing. In particular, though, this struck me: "No earlier geared mechanism of any sort has ever been found. Nothing close to its technological sophistication appears again for well over a millennium, when astronomical clocks appear in medieval Europe … once the technology arose, where did it go?"