Thursday, 12 March 2009

The new science GCSES

I've been asked to be part of a team looking into the quality of the new GCSE exams - seeing if they match up to the specs, if they are demanding enough etc. As part of my homework the Royal Society sent me a set of last summer's OCR Gateway papers to try.

I had a look at them and then thought I'd do an experiment. I gave the first foundation tier science paper to my son to do. Zach is 8, is in year 3 at school and almost knows what science is. I did have to read some of the longer words for him and I took oral rather than written answers (he hates writing). The paper consists of 20 marks for each of biology, chemistry and physics. Zach scored 12/20, 11/20,10/20 respectively giving 33/60 and a creditable D grade (37 for a C grade, the highest achievable on a foundation tier paper). The average mark for this paper nationally was 31.6/60, slightly below Zach's score.

Is this a case of fantastic genes, inherited from two parents with PhDs in physics? Maybe, but nothing in his school work suggests he's going to grow up as a man with a computerised voice in a wheelchair, or a fuzzy-haired, violin-playing odd-sock wearing icon of physics. The moral of this story is certainly not that Zach is some kind of science genius with pushy parents - he hasn't solved any of the basic equations of quantum mechanics as yet!

He even beat me in one question. Asked about the advantages of mobile phones being a form of wireless communications I failed to get the second point the examiners were looking for. I didn't say "They have no wires"...how stupid am I?

Ken

4 comments:

Farhan Mannan said...

Lulz.

TomTurnerUK said...

My Response (more serious than Farhan's) turned into a posthttp://dynamization.wordpress.com/2009/03/12/the-gcse-farcethe-gcse-farce/.

Mark Holland said...

Hi,
I like this type of article. Please continue this awesome work. Thumbs up, and keep it going!
Cytotoxicity Assay Kit


Thanks!
Mark Holland

Charles Lee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.